January 25, 2012

Small sections of a Painting


I love looking at small sections of my paintings and seeing what I have done, or in this case what is left to do. The above is an oil painting of the fall woods at Ridley Creek state park (one of my favorite places to hike). It still needs a bit more work but never the less I love how the colors are coming together. They are vibrant and full of deep blues and oranges. I think it really captures the breathless excitement of fall.



With this particular painting I took the advice of Mitchell Albala and played with the reference photo's colors to make it more evocative of the place, rather than just dully copying the photo which I always try to avoid. I enjoyed his "Gallery Talk" series very much, and found it very educational.

No comments:

Post a Comment